Saturday, April 11, 2009

Happy Birthday, Diane!


Wishing my baby sister a very Happy Birthday!

She is your mirror, shining back at you with a world of possibilities. She is your witness, who sees you at your worst and best, and loves you anyway. She is your partner in crime, your midnight companion, someone who knows when you are smiling, even in the dark. She is your teacher, your defense attorney, your personal press agent, even your shrink. ~Barbara Alpert

Our roots say we're sisters, our hearts say we're friends. ~Author Unknown

There is no better friend than a sister. ~Author Unknown

And let me take this opportunity to officially apologize to you for pushing you down a flight of stairs when we were little. And also, I’m sorry that I didn’t even check to see if you were still alive, I just quickly gathered up my toys into the folds of my sundress and ran to our room because I thought I was going to get in trouble and I didn’t want my toys taken away from me. I don’t think you even told on me though, because I don’t remember ever getting in trouble for that repulsive act.

Hey, do you remember the time we kissed on the lips by mistake during the Sign of Peace at Mass? Of course you do, we both fell into convulsive fits of laughter! We were both kneeling there with our heads buried in our hands shaking with laughter, and you said you hoped people thought we were crying because you didn’t want it to seem like we were being irreverent. I still get the giggles every time I think of it (especially if I think of it while I am attending Mass!). Now don’t think of it tomorrow during Easter Sunday Mass.


I’m so glad I had you by my side growing up. Almost all my childhood memories are wrapped up in you and how hollow my childhood would have been without you.
And I’m so thankful we were side by side to say good-bye to Mom and Dad too, I wouldn’t have had the strength to let go alone.


Happy, Happy Birthday!
All my best wishes!
With Love from your sister, Eileen

2 comments:

  1. You are so fortunate to have a sister! And the convulsive fits of laughter, I still have those all the time. My kids love it. And yes I have occasionally had them in church as well. Happy Birthday to your sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Eileen! The picture looks empty without you, just as life would have been if I didn't have you there always.
    Love, Diane

    ReplyDelete