Tuesday, November 30, 2010

"Once Upon A Time" Recipes




I am joining Cathy at A Bit Of The Blarney for her 'Once Upon A Time Recipe'.


This cookie recipe is one of my Swedish mother-in-law's recipes. My initial taste of Pepparkakor cookies was the first Christmas Ray and I were going together, we stopped in his house and his Mom was busy making sugar cookies, and she told us she had just finished a batch of the Pepparkakor if we wanted to try them. They were a beautiful color brown, and they were big flower-shaped cookies, and they smelled wonderful, and they tasted delicious, much better than the average ginger cookie.

I have tried making these cookies heart-shaped, and I've tried cutting the dough into gingerbread men, but they just end up looking like big blobs, so I have found that the symmetrical flower shaped cookie cutter works best with this recipe:

Pepparkakor

1 1/2 Cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
(Sift all these together and set aside)

1/2 Cup butter (cream until softened)
3/4 Cup sugar (add to creamed butter)
1 egg, well-beaten (add to sugar & butter mixture)
1 1/2 teaspoon dark corn syrup (add to creamed mixture)


Blend the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture by fourths.
Chill several hours.
Remove, place on lightly floured surface.
Roll out dough about 1/6 inch thick.
Cut shapes with cookie cutter and place on baking sheet.
Bake 375 degrees, 6 to 8 minutes.

I hope you enjoy these cookies as much as I do!

6 comments:

  1. Mmmmm Yummy!! I will be waiting patiently for my cookie package to arrive in the mail! LOL, only kidding! Thanks for the recipe Eileen. I think Katie and Natasha would love to bake these! I am so happy that they like to bake and cook! This cookie recipe sounds very good and I have heard of them before! Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cookies! Who can resist cookies!! Thank you for the recipe. I love to bake cookies with my granddaughter. (I smiled at Di's comment....she always makes me smile!!)
    Love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my they sound good!! Will have to try them on Saturday...My Christmas baking day! Thanks for your offering! I'm having such fun!! Start thinking about next week's recipe! :) Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sound SO delicious, Eileen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They sound like they would be like a gingerbread taste, which I love! Ginger and cinnamon...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Eileen, thanks for stopping by by my neck of the woods. Your cookies sound great. Never have been much of a baker but never too late to start. I get they are pretty with the flower cookie cutter.
    Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete