Sunday, November 22, 2009

Tis The Season To Be Thankful!

I've heard people grumble about Thanksgiving, about how we shouldn't need a special day to thank God. I've also heard people grumble about how this day is just a 'money-maker', and I've also heard complaints from others about how it is a way to 'ram God down our throats'. To all that I say "NONSENSE!" Well, other than the first complaint, that one is true, I know that we should be thankful each and every day for our Blessings.
But for myself, I think there is something about us, as a nation, setting aside this time of year, and setting aside a special day, to honor and thank God for His Blessings to us, that just warms my heart.

And I have so much to be thankful for that if I listed each and every thing I was thankful for, and more importantly, if I listed each and every person I was thankful for, this post would be never-ending. But I would like to mention a few things:

I am thankful that my needs are few and my Blessings are many.

I am thankful for my Mom and my Dad and the wonderful life they provided for us.

I am thankful for the time period I grew up in.

I am thankful for my childhood memories. I am thankful for my siblings and for what we once had, and for what we once meant to each other. I'm thankful that they were my first friends, they were my security, and even though some of us are distanced due to the miles that come between us, and some of us are distanced due to the disagreements that come between us, I am grateful that they helped to shape my past.

I am especially thankful for my sisters. Diane who gets me roped into joining all kinds of crazy things and then leaves me hanging! Diane who calls to tell me to harvest my wheat before it dies, and who calls to tell me that my pumpkins have already withered in Farmville. Diane who took me out just last night for the best meal I've ever eaten in my life! To Diane, my baby sister, my childhood, my confidence, my confidant, and my safety net. And my sister Marybeth who keeps up with my life through phone calls and my blog. Marybeth who also knows all of my fellow bloggers and she calls to ask about all of you too (she reads us all, but she never comments on any of our blogs!). Marybeth, my big sister, my protection and my shield.

I am thankful for my soul mate. Ray, my happiness and my sanctuary. I am thankful for our children (the five we were Blessed to raise and those we were Blessed with through marriage, or hanging on the fringes with the hope in our hearts of a proposal soon!).

I am thankful for our grandchildren who have opened a whole new world of joy for me.

I am thankful for the love and support of extended family.

I am thankful for the encouragement of friends.

I am thankful for old friends, and I am thankful for the opportunity of reconnecting with long-lost friends, and I am also thankful for the opportunity to meet new friends.

I am thankful for my Faith and for the many unexpected Gifts and surprises God sends my way.
I am thankful for my Lord and Savior, my Safe Haven. Jesus, His steadfast love upholds me.

I am thankful for healthy days.

I am thankful for happy moments.

I am thankful for the change of seasons, and I am thankful for the seasons of my life. I am savoring them all.

I am thankful for leisure time to do as I please.

I am thankful for our Military.

I am thankful for freedom and for those who fought for that freedom, and for all those that continue to fight for freedom here at home and in distant lands.

I am thankful for dreams come true and for the opportunity to dream anew.

Thank You, God, for all this and so much more.

Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His Love endures forever. ~ Psalm 107:1

A very Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving to you all!

21 comments:

  1. HI EILEEN-
    I love this post and reading of all you are thankful for. And so it should stand on it's own merit - I applaud and give praise this Thanksgiving and every day for all you have written about - for your shared blessings are, in many ways, mine as well. Praise the Lord.

    Love to you my amazing friend
    Gail
    peace......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eileen, what a precious Thanksgiving post! I could have said almost the exact same prayer, just by changing the names. Too often, people, including myself, gobble up minutes of their life every day, stewing in complaints or disappointments...how futile that is. When we have so much goodness in our lives, there is something every minute that we can shout out a praise to the Lord for all He has given us. I am thankful for our freedom in America, and for the freedom that we receive through the blood of our Savior...no matter what happens in our country, or in the world, the freedom from sin can never be taken from us.

    I pray that all those that read your post today will relate to at least one of the blessings you are thankful for, and give God the praise for what He's done for them as well...I am going to do that this very minute!

    God bless you, Eileen! Have a beautiful day!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this, Eileen. I am thankful that in all the Land of Blog, I am blessed to call you my friend. :-)

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eileen...you have such a loving and thankful spirit. May the blessings of life continue on and on for you. You are a blessing to me.
    Smiles,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww! I am am thankful that I met you! You are so sweet and kind and caring.
    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday as there are no gifts involved. Only family and friends sharing good food, memories and laughs. It is simple and pure.
    That is a day that I am always grateful for!
    Love You, Di

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eileen, like you my blessings are many and I am thankful for friends who recognize and value all that you do.....we all have so much to be thankful for, and I am thankful to have met you........:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sweetie! It's so good to read all that you are thankful for. We each have so much more than we realize and I'm with you about how lovely it is to set aside a day to do ust that. I'm thrilled that families are even just gathering around the table together. That makes me smile!

    Have a wonderful celebration and Hi to Marybeth!! Come on girl!! Join in on the FUN!!
    What are you waiting for?? :o)

    Love you and am so thankful our paths have crossed in blogland!!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  8. We all need to stop and think about what we are grateful for very day. Have a great celebration and good times Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post Eileen...your gratitude and love for your family and friends is evident in every post you do. Hope your Thanksgiving Day gathering is joyous beyond measure.

    Luv and Smiles,
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eileen,

    Among all the blessings that God has bestowed upon my, I consider you and Diane at the top of my list.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Eileen,
    Happy Thanksgiving to you, and I am so thankful that you are my friend. I loved your post today, full of honest gratitude! Blessings to you. (((HUGS))) T

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never heard of anyone but my mother saying they were thankful for the time period they grew up in. We did grow up in gentler, kinder times, didn't we?
    I also find it interesting that you say your needs are few and your blessings are many. I wish I could say that. My blessings are many too but so are my needs :)) I wish I were a low maintenance kind of girl, but I'm not :)

    I love how you are thankful for the unexpected surprised of life. I am too, although sometimes I don't recognize it til later. He knows best and He can make more of ourselves than we can.

    You are a blessing to us all Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your "list" prompted yet more specific reasons to be thankful for ME. Thanks, Eileen.

    I puzzled over the word "proposal" in your list. Went back and read it; then REread it. Still puzzling....I will keep reading your blog to try to figure it out :)

    Going to meet one of our daughters & her 3 chilluns this evening. Her husband will come Thurday. Our main meal/gathering with extended family to come Friday. Today I clean :)

    Have a wonderful, wonderful Thanksgiving day/weekend if I don't "see" you again till then....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have a Wonderful Thanksgiving Eileen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Checking back in with you, sweet Eileen, to let you know that YOU are one of the blessings I'm counting this Thanksgiving. I am SO glad I went to tea at Carol's and met you. She has the loveliest friends, and I feel blessed knowing you.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    Love you...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful post Eileen. I am thankful for sweet bloggers like YOU who inspire us all and leave such nice comments on everyone else's blogs. You're the best!
    Happy turkey day to you and your sweet family. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Sweet Eileen!
    I loved your list of all that you are thankful for...you are such a kind and beautiful person...that is why I love you so much!!
    I love that your sister reads and doesn't comment..that's sweet :)
    I hope that your Thanksgiving is the most wondeful ever...you deserve it...
    From me to you a big hug!!!
    Happy Thanksgiving Eileen :) :) :)
    Love and Hugs....Jerelene

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you all for your kind and generous comments.
    I appreciate your friendships so much and I value your opinions.
    And you always make my day happy!

    I hope you all enjoy a wonderful day tomorrow!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Love to you all, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Must tell you that I am always grateful for your visits to my "house." Thank you for the affirmation you offer to me!!! Indeed, I am truly blessed! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Eileen,

    I hope your day was filled with love!!! You give so much to us all...and I pray God richly blesses you!!! Your thankful list spoke deeply to me!!! I found myself saying, "Yes, yes, yes," aloud...throughout my reading...Thank you for your beautiful example, and for your treasured friendship! Love you! Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think you said the Thank-yous that we all need to think about it our lives. Our Thanksgiving was in October and it was great to be reminded of all I should be 'thank full' for. Peace abd Blessing to you and yours. Mar. <3

    ReplyDelete