Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Should Umma (Grandma) Go Gray?

I've been thinking about letting my hair go gray. I've been thinking about this for awhile and I'm leaning towards letting it go. I can't say it's because of laziness, as I don't dye my own hair, I go to the hairdresser every four weeks to get it done, and I actually look forward to the appointment. It's absolutely no work for me, and it's really very relaxing. I enjoy the feeling of having the dye painted on my hair, it feels cool on my scalp, and I get to sit back and read a few magazines in peace and quiet. I like having my hair washed and conditioned afterwards and the head massage is fantastic, and I love the way my hair feels and shines right after it's colored. All good things.
And I can't say it's about the money either, the salon I go to is very reasonable. I think I'm just liking gray hair lately. My Mom had a beautiful head of gray-white hair, so thick and luxurious. She was gray by the time she was thirty. And my baby sister is the same way. My Dad on the other hand did not go gray until late into his forties and was still salt and pepper until the day he passed at age eighty-two. My older sister and I take after him. I didn't start seeing any gray hairs until my late forties, and that was mostly just on the sides of my head, even now at fifty-five it's more pepper than salt (I think, I've been dying it for a few years now). So I think that's one quandary. If I was sure that I could have my Mom's beautiful head of hair I'd do it in a heartbeat. I really don't want gray hair with streaks of black/brown in it. Another problem would be letting it grow out. I don't think I could stand seeing the roots for more than a week or two, never mind trying to let it grow out for a year or more. Yuck! But I see that Pink has dyed her hair gray now, so maybe that's a possibility and this way I'd still be able to keep up with my once a month welcome routine of the hairdresser. And I would not have to worry about the salt/pepper look.
But the biggest drawback is the shock factor though as my hair is dyed a dark auburn now. But I think it might be a welcome shock to me. I'm not so sure how my husband would take it though. And I know the grandkids would hate it, they don't even like it when I change my hairstyle! And that's my main quandary. So I guess I'll be contemplating this for awhile.
If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on this subject I'd appreciate any input.
Oh, and don't tell me I'm lame, you're reading a Grandma's blog here! I'm a little old gray-haired lady (or at least I should be), take pity.

3 comments:

  1. Hi. I don't have any advice. I just turned 40 last year and have been dying the gray out of my hair for the last few years. :-(

    I would consider going gray in the next 5-10 years if I could have that nice shade of gray that Helen Mirren or Emmylou Harris have!

    Anyway, hope to see you post more. Your grandkids are too precious....

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are going to do it, do it now before you get grayer. And, don't dye it gray. Dye it a lighter coler first,maybe with streaks and then let it grow out. The most important thing always is a good cut.

    Dhoff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anya, thank you and congratulations on the big 40! You're still a baby. Wait 'til 50 rolls around, it's very 'free-ing'. You're going to love it.
    And I agree completely about Helen Mirren and Emmylou Harris, very beautiful hair. I had always heard that you can't dye your hair gray so the process was to just let it grow out naturally and that's not something I'm looking forward to. But if it turns out it's possible to get gray from a bottle, I think I'm there.

    ReplyDelete